- RIS(for EndNote,Reference Manager,ProCite)
- Citation Only
- Citation and Abstract
The Role of the WI-38 Cell Strain in Saving Lives and Reducing Morbidity
1 University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
2 University of California at San Francisco, USA
Received: , Accepted: , Published:
Special Issues: Applied Demography and Public Health
Citation: S. J. Olshansky, L. Hayflick. The Role of the WI-38 Cell Strain in Saving Lives and Reducing Morbidity. AIMS Public Health , 2017, 4(2): 127-138. doi: 10.3934/publichealth.2017.2.127
- 1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Measles Cases and Outbreaks. US Department of Health and Human Services. December 13, 2016. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html.
- 2. Centers for Disease Control, U.S. multi-state measles outbreak, December 2014–January 2015. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, 2015. Available from: http://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00376.asp.
- 3. Centers for Disease Control, Facts for Parents: Diseases and the Vaccines that Prevent Them. 2015. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/fact-sheet-parents.html.
- 4. Orenstein WA, Douglas RG, Rodewald LE, et al. (2005) Immunizations in the United States: Success, Structure, and Stress. Health Aff 24: 599-610.
- 5. Every Child by Two, 2015. Available From: http://www.ecbt.org/images/articles/eBookOfDiseases.pdf.
- 6. Dubé E, Vivion M, MacDonald NE (2015) Vaccine hesitancy, vaccine refusal and the anti-vaccine movement: influence, impact and implications. Expert Rev Vaccines 14: 99-117.
- 7. Majumder MS, Cohn EL, Mekaru SR, et al. (2015) Substandard vaccination compliance and the 2015 Measles outbreak. JAMA Pediatr 169.
- 8. Hayflick L, Moorhead PS (1961) The serial cultivation of human diploid cell strains. Exp Cell Res 25: 585-621.
- 9. Jacobs JP, Jones CM, Baille JP (1970) Characteristics of a human diploid cell designated MRC-5. Nature 227: 168-170.
- 10. Riley JC (2001) Rising Life Expectancy: A Global History (Cambridge University Press, U.K.).
- 11. Riedel A (2005) Edward Jenner and the history of smallpox and vaccination, BUMC Proc 18: 21-25.
- 12. World Health Organization (2009) State of the World's Vaccines and Immunization (3rd Edition, Geneva).
- 13. Hayflick L (2001) In Evolving Scientific and Regulatory Perspectives on Cell Substrates for Vaccine Development, Brown F, Krause P, Lewis AM, Eds. (Karger, Basel), 106: 5-23.
- 14. Koprowski H, Ponten JA, Jensen F, et al. (1962) Transformation of cultures of human tissue infected with simian virus S. V. 40, J Cell Comp Physiol 59: 281.
- 15. Bookchin D, Schumacher J (2004) The virus and the vaccine, St. Martin's Press NYC.
- 16. Hayflick L, Norton TW, Plotkin SA, et al. (1962) Preparation of poliovirus vaccines in a human fetal diploid cell strain. Am J Hyg 77: 240-258.
- 17. Hayflick L (1965) The limited in vitro lifetime of human diploid cell strains. Exp Cell Res 37: 614-636.
- 18. Hayflick L, Plotkin S, Stevenson RE (1987) In WHO Study Group on Cells, Products and Safety, Petricciani JC and Hennessen W Eds. (Karger, Basel), 68: 9-17.
- 19. Jacobs JP, Jones CM, Baille JP (1970) Characteristics of a human diploid cell designated MRC-5. Nature 227: 168-70.
- 20. Hayflick L (1989) In Developments in Biological Standardization, Continuous Cell Lines as Substrates for Biologicals, Proceedings of the International Association of Biological Standardization, L. Hayflick, W. Hennessen, S. Karger AG, Basel, Eds. Basel, Switzerland, 70: 11-26.
- 21. Roush MT, Murphy TV, and the Vaccine-Preventable Disease Table Working Group (2007) Historical Comparisons of Morbidity and Mortality for Vaccine-Preventable Diseases in the United States. JAMA 298: 2155-2163.
- 22. Banatvala J, Peckham C (2007) In Rubella Viruses, Perspectives in Medical Virology, A.J. Zuckerman, I.K. Mushahwar, Eds. (Elsevier), vol. 15, p.xi, Table 1.
- 23. Wakefield AJ, Murch SH, Anthony A, et al. (1998) Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet 351: 637-641.
- 24. Godlee F, Smith J, Marcovitch H (2011) Wakefield's article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent. BMJ 342: C6452.
- 25. Smith PJ, Humiston SG, Marcuse EK, et al. (2011) Parental delay or refusal of vaccine doses, childhood vaccination coverage at 24 months of age, and the Health Belief Model. Public Health Rep 126: 135-146.
- 26. Bloom DE, Canning D (2001) The health and wealth of nations (2000) Science 287: 1207, 1209.
- 27. Plotkin S, Rubella eradication (2001) Vaccine 19: 3311-3319.
- 28. California Legislative Information, SB-277 Public Health: Vaccinations, 2015. Available From: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB277.
your name: * your email: *
Copyright Info: © 2017, S. J. Olshansky, et al., licensee AIMS Press. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licese (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)