- RIS(for EndNote,Reference Manager,ProCite)
- Citation Only
- Citation and Abstract
Energy, Transportation, Air Quality, Climate Change, Health Nexus: Sustainable Energy is Good for Our Health
1 Department of Chemical Engineering, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506
2 Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701
Received: , Accepted: , Published:
Citation: Larry E. Erickson, Merrisa Jennings. Energy, Transportation, Air Quality, Climate Change, Health Nexus: Sustainable Energy is Good for Our Health. AIMS Public Health , 2017, 4(1): 47-61. doi: 10.3934/publichealth.2017.1.47
- 1. Paris Agreement on Climate Change. (2015) United Nations, New York.
- 2. Erickson LE, Robinson J, Brase G, et al. (Eds.) (2017) Solar Powered Charging Infrastructure for Electric Vehicles: A Sustainable Development, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, Florida.
- 3. Crimmins A, Balbus J, Gamble J, et al. (2016) The Impacts of Climate Change on Human Health in the United States: A scientific Assessment. U.S. Global Change Research Program, Washington, DC.
- 4. Priddle R (Ed.) (2016) Energy and Air Pollution, International Energy Agency, Paris, France.
- 5. Sachs JD (2015) The Age of Sustainable Development, Columbia University Press, New York.
- 6. Guarino B (2016). "Anthrax Sickens 13 in Western Siberia, and a Thawed-out Reindeer Corpse May be to Blame" Washington Post, July 28, 2016, Available from: www.washingtonpost.com.
- 7. Revich BA and Podolnya MA (2011) Thawing of permafrost may disturb historic cattle burial ground in East Siberia. Glob Health Action 4: 8482; DOI: 10.3402/gha.v4i).8482.
- 8. International Agency for Research on Cancer. (2012) Diesel Engine Exhaust Carcinogenic, Press Release No. 213, June 12, 2012, World Health Organization, Lyon, France.
- 9. American Cancer Society (2016) Diesel Exhaust and Cancer, American Cancer Society, Available from: www.cancer.org.
- 10. Goldin E, Erickson LE, Natarajan B, et al. (2014) Solar powered charging stations for electric vehicles. Environ Prog Sustainable Energy 33: 1298-1308.
- 11. Robinson J, Brase G, Griswold W, et al. (2014) Business models for solar powered charging stations to develop infrastructure for electric vehicles. Sustainability 6: 7358-7387.
- 12. Erickson LE, Burkey A, Morrissey KG, et al. (2015) Social, economic, technological, and environmental impacts of the development and implementation of solar powered charge stations. Environ Prog Sustainable Energy 34: 1808-1813.
- 13. OECD (2014) The cost of air pollution: Health impacts of road transport, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development Report, OECD Publishing, Doi: 10.1787/9789264210448-en, Available from: www.oecd.org.
- 14. WHO (2015) Economic Cost of the Health Impact of Air Pollution in Europe, World Health Organization Report, Available from: www.euro.who.int.
- 15. Satish U, Mendell MJ, Shekhar K, et al. (2012) Is CO2 an indoor pollutant. Direct effects of low-to-moderate CO2 concentrations on human decision-making performance. Environ Health Perspect 120: 1671-1677.
- 16. Burke M, Hsiang SM, Miguel E (2015) Global non-linear effect of temperature on economic production. Nature 527: 235-239.
- 17. WHO (2012) WHO Global Health Expenditure Atlas, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 18. Kan H, Chen B, Hong C (2009) Health impact of air pollution in China: Current knowledge and future research needs. Environ Health Perspect 117: A187.
- 19. Ackerman F and Stanton EA (2008) The Cost of Climate Change, Natural Resources Defense Council, New York.
- 20. RITA (2013) Transportation Statistics Annual Report (2012) Research and Innovative Technology Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, DC.
- 21. Brown LR, Larsen J, Roney JM, et al. (2015) The Great Transition, W.W. Norton & Co., New York.
- 22. Incropera FP (2016) Climate Change: A Wicked Problem, Cambridge University Press, New York.
- 23. Romm J (2016) Climate Change: What Everyone Needs to Know, Oxford, New York.
- 24. Williams JH, DeBenedictis A, Ghanadan R, et al. (2012) The technology path to deep greenhouse gas emission cuts by 2050: The pivotal role of electricity. Science 335: 53-59.
- 25. Kassakian JG (2015) Overcoming Barriers to Deployment of Plug-in Electric Vehicles, National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- 26. Nykvist B and Nilsson M (2015) Rapidly falling costs of battery packs for electric vehicles. Nat Clim Change 5: 329-332.
- 27. Union of Concerned Scientists. Coal generates 44% of our electricity, and is the single biggest air polluter in the U.S. Retrieved August 10, 2016, from Union of Concerned Scientists: Science for a Healthy Planet and Safer World, Available from: http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/coalvswind/c01.html#.V6tTQigrLIU.
- 28. Union of Concerned Scientists. A Changing Climate Worsens Allergy Symptoms. Retrieved August 13, 2016, from Union of Concerned Scientists: Science for a healthy planet and safer world: Available from: http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/impacts/climate-and-allergies.html#.V69eXCgrLIV.
- 29. Peters A (2015) Meet the electric bus that could push every other polluting bus off the road, Available from: www.fastcoexist.com.
- 30. Edelstein S (2016) Chicago transit authority to add dozens of electric buses after successful tests, Available from: www.greencarreports.com.
- 31. Proterra (2015) About Proterra, Available from: www.proterra.com.
- 32. Ayre J (2016) Gothenburg's electric bus route 55 blows past expectations, Available from: www.evobsessions.com.
- 33. McDonald J (2016) Chinese electric car maker enters U.S. market by selling buses, Available from: www.phys.org.
- 34. Shahan Z (2016) New "much improved" BYD electric bus gets first 15 orders in France, Available from: www.cleantechnica.com.
- 35. Eudy L, Prohaska R, Kelly K, et al. (2016) Foothill Transit Battery Electric Bus Demonstration Results, National Renewable Energy Laboratory Report NREL/TP-5400-65274, January 2016, Available from: www.nrel.gov.
- 36. Holmes-Gen B and Barrett W (2016). Clean Air Future: Health and climate Benefits of Zero Emission Vehicles, American Lung Association of California Report, October 2016.
- 37. Nunes P, Figueiredo R, Brito MC (2016) The use of parking lots to solar-charge electric vehicles. Renewable Sustainable Energy Rev 66: 679-693.
- 38. Vahedifard F, AghaKouchak A, Jafari NH (2016) Compound hazards yield Louisiana flood. Science 353: 1374.
- 39. Miotti M, Supran GJ, Kim EJ, et al. (2016) Personal vehicles evaluated against climate change mitigation targets. Environ Sci Technol, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.6b00177.
- 40. Black R, Adger WN, Arnell NW, et al. (2011) The effect of environmental change on human migration. Glob Environ Chang 21S: S3-S11.
- 41. IPCC (2014) Climate Change 2014: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II, and II to the 5th Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, R.K. Pauchuri and L.A. Meyer, Eds., IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 42. WHO (2016) India takes steps to curb air pollution. Bull W H O 94: 487-488.
- 43. Krzyzanowski M, Apte JS, Bonjour SP, et al. (2014) Air pollution in the mega-cities. Curr Environ Health Rep 1: 185-191.
- 44. Saraswat A, Apte JS, Kandlikar M, et al. (2013) Saptiotemporal land use regression models of fine, ultrafine, and black carbon particulate matter in New Delhi, India. Environ Sci Technol 47: 12903-12911.
- 45. Apte JS, Bombrun E, Marshall JD, et al. (2012) Global intraurban intake fractions for primary air pollutants from vehicles and other distributed sources. Environ Sci Technol 46: 3415-3423.
- 46. Brauer M, Freedman G, Frostad J, et al. (2015) Ambient air pollution exposure estimation for the global burden of disease 2013. Environ Sci Technol 50: 79-88.
- 47. Apte JS, Marshall JD, Cohen AJ, et al. (2015) Addressing global mortality from ambient PM2. 5. Environ Sci Technol 49: 8057-8066.
- 48. City of London (2015) City of London Air Quality Strategy 2015–2020. City of London, London, UK, Available from: www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/air.
- 49. Mahendra A, Conti V, Pai M, et al. (2014) Integrating Health Benefits into Transportation Planning and Policy in India. Issue Brief. EMBARQ India, Mumbai.
- 50. NIPH (2014) Air Pollution in Norway: Public Health Report 2014. Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
- 51. Ayre J (2016) Electric Car Sales 28% of All Car Sales in Norway (First 7 months of 2016). Clean Technica, Available from: https://cleantechnica.com.
- 52. Meredith P (2016) Moving parts. PRISM 26, No. 4, 24–29, December, 2016.
- 53. Hunt A, Ferguson J, Hurley F, et al. (2016). Social Costs of Morbidity Impacts of Air Pollution, OECD Environment Working Papers No. 99, OECD Publishing, Paris.
- 54. Mani MS, Sandhu SC, Joshi G, et al. (2013) India: Diagnostic Assessment of Select Environmental Challenges. Report No. 70004-IN, World Bank, South Asia Region.
- 55. Giannadaki D, Lelieveld J, Pozzer A (2016) Implementing the U. S. air quality standard for PM2.5 worldwide can prevent millions of premature deaths per year. Environ Health 15: 88.
your name: * your email: *
Copyright Info: © 2017, Larry E. Erickson, et al., licensee AIMS Press. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licese (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)