- RIS(for EndNote,Reference Manager,ProCite)
- Citation Only
- Citation and Abstract
Smoking Initiation and Cessation among Youths in Vietnam: A Longitudinal Study Using the Chi Linh Demographic—Epidemiological Surveillance System (CHILILAB DESS)
1 Hanoi School of Public Health, 138 Giang Vo Street, Ba Dinh District, Ha Noi, Vietnam
2 International Maternal and Child Health (IMCH), Department of Women’s and Children’s Health, Uppsala University, SE-751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
3 Department of General Surgery, Viet Duc University Hospital, 40 Trang Thi Street, Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi, Vietnam
Received: , Accepted: , Published:
Special Issues: Scientific evidence for better health and health care in Vietnam
Citation: Duong Minh Duc, Le Thi Vui, Hoang Ngoc Son, Hoang Van Minh. Smoking Initiation and Cessation among Youths in Vietnam: A Longitudinal Study Using the Chi Linh Demographic—Epidemiological Surveillance System (CHILILAB DESS). AIMS Public Health , 2017, 4(1): 1-18. doi: 10.3934/publichealth.2017.1.1
- 1. World Health Organization (2015) Tobacco.
- 2. Duc DM, Vui le T, Quynh NT, et al. (2016) Changes in Co-Occurrence of Smoking and Harmful Drinking among Youth: a Study from the Chi Linh Demographic–Epidemiological Surveillance System in Vietnam, 2006–2013. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 17 Suppl: 55-63.
- 3. Tercyak KP, Goldman P, Smith A, et al. (2002) Interacting effects of depression and tobacco advertising receptivity on adolescent smoking. J Pediatr Psychol 27: 145-154.
- 4. Chaiton MO, Cohen JE, O'Loughlin J, et al. (2009) A systematic review of longitudinal studies on the association between depression and smoking in adolescents. BMC Public Health 9: 356.
- 5. World Health Organization (1999) Programming for adolescent health and development: report of a WH.
- 6. Bui TV, Blizzard L, Luong KN, et al. (2015) Declining Prevalence of Tobacco Smoking in Vietnam. Nicotine Tob Res 17: 831-838.
- 7. Hu T, Mao Z, Liu Y, et al. (2005) Smoking, standard of living, and poverty in China. Tob Control 14: 247-250.
- 8. Ross H, Trung DV, Phu VX (2007) The costs of smoking in Vietnam: the case of inpatient care. Tob Control 16: 405-409.
- 9. Bui LN, Nguyen NTT, Tran LK, et al. (2013) Risk factors of burden of disease: a comparative assessment study for evidence-based health policy making in Vietnam. Lancet 381: S23.
- 10. Vietnam Ministry of Health (2010) Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) Viet Nam 2010. Hanoi: Vietnam Ministry of Health.
- 11. Minh HV, Ngan TT, Mai VQ, et al. (2016) Tobacco Control Policies in Vietnam: Review on MPOWER Implementation Progress and Challenges. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 17 Suppl: 1-9.
- 12. National Assembly (2012) Law on Prevention and Control of Tobacco Harms. Hanoi: Vietnam's National Assembly.
- 13. Vietnam Ministry of Health (2013) Joint Circular Guiding the Labeling, Printing of Health Warnings on Tobacco Packages. Hanoi: Vietnam Ministry of Health.
- 14. General Statistic Office of Vietnam (2015) The 1/4/2014 time-point population change and family planning survey: Major findings. Hanoi.
- 15. Tran BH, Nguyen HT, Ho HT, et al. (2013) The Chi Linh Health and Demographic Surveillance System (CHILILAB HDSS). Int J Epidemiol 42: 750-757.
- 16. Thanh ND, Quyen BT, Tien TQ (2016) Validation of a Brief CES-D Scale for Measuring Depression and Its Associated Predictors among Adolescents in Chi Linh, Hai Duong, Vietnam. AIMS Public Health 3: 448-459.
- 17. Thanh ND, Linh LC (2010) Validity and reliability of the depression scale for the youth and adolescent and related factors in Chi Linh district, Hai Duong province. Vietnam J Public Health 16: 33-41.
- 18. Lantz P, Jacobson P, Warner K, et al. (2000) Investing in youth tobacco control: a review of smoking prevention and control strategies. Tob Control 9: 47-63.
- 19. Morrow M, Barraclough S (2003) Tobacco control and gender in south-east Asia. Part II: Singapore and Vietnam. Health Promot Int 18: 373-380.
- 20. Yang JJ, Song M, Yoon HS, et al. (2015) What Are the Major Determinants in the Success of Smoking Cessation: Results from the Health Examinees Study. PLoS One 10: e0143303.
- 21. Nguyen LT, Rahman Z, Emerson MR, et al. (2012) Cigarette smoking and drinking behavior of migrant adolescents and young adults in Hanoi, Vietnam. J Adolesc Health 50: S61-67.
- 22. Hoang VM, Phan TH, Ly NK, et al. (2010) Prevalence of and Susceptibility to Cigarette Smoking Among Female Students Aged 13 to 15 Years in Vietnam, 2007. Prev Chronic Dis 7: A11.
- 23. Anderson P (2006) Global use of alcohol, drugs and tobacco. Drug Alcohol Rev 25: 489-502.
- 24. Johnson PB, Boles SM, Vaughan R, et al. (2000) The co-occurrence of smoking and binge drinking in adolescence. Addict Behav 25: 779-783.
- 25. Kobus K (2003) Peers and adolescent smoking. Addiction 98 Suppl 1: 37-55.
- 26. Gilman SE, Rende R, Boergers J, et al. (2009) Parental smoking and adolescent smoking initiation: an intergenerational perspective on tobacco control. Pediatrics 123: e274-281.
- 27. Yeh MY (2006) Factors associated with alcohol consumption, problem drinking, and related consequences among high school students in Taiwan. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 60: 46-54.
- 28. Flay BR, Hu FB, Siddiqui O, et al. (1994) Differential influence of parental smoking and friends' smoking on adolescent initiation and escalation of smoking. J Health Soc Behav 35: 248-265.
- 29. Wen C, Tsai S, Cheng T, et al. (2005) Role of parents and peers in influencing the smoking status of high school students in Taiwan. Tob Control 14: i10-i15.
- 30. Kaljee LM, Green M, Lerdboon P, et al. (2011) Parent-youth communication and concordance between parents and adolescents on reported engagement in social relationships and sexually intimate behaviors in Ha Noi and Khanh Hoa Province, Viet Nam. J Adolesc Health : Off Publ Soc Adolesc Med 48: 268-274.
- 31. Jackson KM, Colby SM, Sher KJ (2010) Daily patterns of conjoint smoking and drinking in college student smokers. Psychol Addict Behav 24: 424-435.
- 32. Dierker L, Lloyd-Richardson E, Stolar M, et al. (2006) The proximal association between smoking and alcohol use among first year college students. Drug Alcohol Depend 81: 1-9.
- 33. Freedman KS (2012) Smoking initiation among young adults in the United States and Canada, 1998–2010: A systematic review. Prev Chronic Dis 9.
- 34. Laxminarayan R, Deolalikar A (2004) Tobacco initiation, cessation, and change: evidence from Vietnam. Health Econ 13: 1191-1201.
- 35. Guindon GE (2014) The impact of tobacco prices on smoking onset in Vietnam: duration analyses of retrospective data. Eur J Health Econ 15: 19-39.
- 36. Backinger CL, Fagan P, Matthews E, et al. (2003) Adolescent and young adult tobacco prevention and cessation: current status and future directions. Tob Control 12 Suppl 4: Iv46-53.
- 37. Kristman V, Manno M, Cote P (2004) Loss to follow-up in cohort studies: how much is too much. Eur J Epidemiol 19: 751-760.
your name: * your email: *
Copyright Info: © 2017, Duong Minh Duc, et al., licensee AIMS Press. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licese (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)