- RIS(for EndNote,Reference Manager,ProCite)
- Citation Only
- Citation and Abstract
Let the Children Play: Scoping Review on the Implementation and Use of Loose Parts for Promoting Physical Activity Participation
1 School of Health and Human Performance, Dalhousie University, 6230 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2, Canada
2 Department of Child and Youth Study, Mount Saint Vincent University, 166 Bedford Highway, Halifax, NS B3M 2J6, Canada
3 Healthy Populations Institute, Dalhousie University, PO Box 15000, Halifax, B3H 4R2 and IWK Health Centre, University Avenue, Halifax, NS, Canada
Received: , Accepted: , Published:
Citation: Natalie E. Houser, Lindsay Roach, Michelle R. Stone, Joan Turner, Sara F.L. Kirk. Let the Children Play: Scoping Review on the Implementation and Use of Loose Parts for Promoting Physical Activity Participation. AIMS Public Health , 2016, 3(4): 781-799. doi: 10.3934/publichealth.2016.4.781
- 1. Ginsburg KR (2007) The Importance of Play in Promoting Healthy Child Development and Maintaining Strong Parent-Child Bonds. Pediatrics 119: 182-191.
- 2. Oncu EC (2015) Preschoolers’ usage of unstructured materials as play materials divergently. Educ J 4: 9-14.
- 3. ParticipACTION (2015) The Biggest Risk is Keeping Kids Indoors. The 2015 ParticipACTION Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth. Toronto: ParticipACTION. Available from: http://www.participaction.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Participaction-2015ReportCard-FullReport_4.pdf.
- 4. Tremblay MS, Gray C, Babcock S, et al. (2015) Position statement on Active Outdoor Play. Int J Environ Res Public Health 12: 6475-6505.
- 5. Maxwell LE, Mitchell MR, Evans GW (2008) Effects of play equipment and loose parts on preschool children's outdoor play behavior: An observational study and design intervention. Child Youth Environ 18: 36-63.
- 6. Jones RA, Riethmuller A, Hesketh K, et al. (2011) Promoting Fundamental Movement Skill Development and Physical Activity in Early Childhood Settings: A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatr Exerc Sci 23: 600-615.
- 7. Goodway JE, Crowe H, Ward P (2003) Effects of Motor Skill Instruction on Fundamental Motor Skill Development. Adapt Phys Act Q 20: 298-314.
- 8. Drew WF, Nell ML (2015) Children Discovery Workshop: How Everyone Can Grow Through Constructive Play. Teach Young Child 8: 22-24.
- 9. Burdette HL, Whitaker RC (2005) Resurrecting Free Play in Young Children Looking Beyond Fitness and Fatness to Attention, Affiliation, and Affect. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159: 46-50.
- 10. Nicholson S (1971) How not to cheat children: The theory of loose parts. Landscape Archit 62: 30-34.
- 11. Little H, Sweller N (2015) Affordances for Risk-Taking and Physical Activity in Australian Early Childhood Education Settings. Early Child Educ J 43: 337-345.
- 12. Arksey H, O’Malley L (2005) Scoping studies: towards a methodological framework. Int J Soc Res Methodol 8: 19-32.
- 13. Neill P (2013) Open-Ended Materials Belong Outside Too! High scope 27: 1-8.
- 14. Drew WF (2007) Endless Possibilities. Scholast Parent Child 14: 54-56.
- 15. Szekely I (2015) Playground Innovations and Art Teaching. Art Educ 37-42.
- 16. Spencer P (2008) The Magic of Play. Parent 22: 88-92.
- 17. Sutton MJ (2011) In the Hand and Mind: The Intersection of Loose Parts and Imagination in Evocative Settings for Young Children. Child Youth Environ 21: 408-424.
- 18. Vandenberg B (1981) Developmental Features of Children’s Play with Objects. J Psychol 109: 27-29.
- 19. McLoyd VC (1983) The Effects of the Structure of Play Objects on the Pretend Play of Low-Income Preschool Children. Child Dev 54: 626-635.
- 20. Rockwell D (2010) Unpacking Imagination. The New York Times. September 26. Available from: http://www.rockwellgroup.com/PDFs/NYT_IP.pdf.
- 21. McGonigle H, Bowman-Kruhm M (2001) Think Outside the Sandbox: Creating Natural Backyard Play Space. Nat Life Mag 14-17.
- 22. Marshall D, Dickinson A (2012) Play and Learn the Outdoor Way. TYC—Teaching Young Children/Preschool 5: 2-26.
- 23. Ryan K, Woytovech CJ, Bruya L, et al. (2012) Loose Parts: The Collaboration Process for a School Playground. J Kinesiol Wellness 1.
- 24. Mincemoyer CC (2013) Loose Parts: What does this mean? Penn State Extension-Better Kid Care. Available from: http://extension.psu.edu/youth/betterkidcare/early-care/our-resources/tip-pages/tips/loose-parts-what-does-this-mean.
- 25. Runco MA, Acar S (2012) Divergent thinking as an indicator of creative potential. Creativity Res J 24: 66-75.
your name: * your email: *
Copyright Info: © 2016, Michelle R. Stone, et al., licensee AIMS Press. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licese (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)